Stadtwerke Rosenheim (GER)
The J920 FleXtra engine from INNIO allows the city of Rosenheim to generate flexible distributed power & heat by operating in a highly efficient combined heat and power application mode.
One of INNIO’s J920 FleXtra large engines was installed at the Stadtwerke Rosenheim, where it works with a waste incineration plant and four additional Jenbacher engines to create a combined heat and power (CHP) plant. Offering low environmental impact, the plant generates about 40% of the electricity and 20% of the heat required by the city of Rosenheim. Since the CHP plant stores heat, it greatly increases the daily operating hours for the engines and makes them an ideal complement to intermittently available wind and solar energy supplies.
a pioneer in distributed power generation
Stadtwerke Rosenheim supplies water, electricity, gas, process steam and district heating for residential and local industrial customers. Using CHP engine technology is a critical piece of the company’s energy concept. Given the fast-growing presence of renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power, it is essential to create a more flexible energy supply infrastructure such as engine-based distributed CHP plants.
Key project benefits
- Supports Germany’s climate goals: The project will help increase power generation from CHP plants to 25% of the country‘s total power supply by 2020 while reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 40%.
- Contributes to local energy turnaround: Innovative energy production from municipal utilities can reduce the CO2 emissions of conventional power plants. The saved CO2 emissions are equal to the remaining CO2 output of the city of Rosenheim.
- Supports Germany’s energy efficiency initiatives: By ensuring excellent electrical efficiency and high CHP efficiency of up to 90%, the innovative two-stage turbo-charging design supports Germany’s efforts to increase its energy efficiency by 2.1% annually.
- Provides fast, reliable power to the grid: With five-minute startup capability, this CHP plant supports the supply of reliable power to the grid by reacting quickly when the power supply from solar or wind is low.
- Supports peak period demands: The CHP plant combined with heat storage provides “flexible heat generation and electric power” during peak periods.
- Reduces fuel consumption: Due to two-stage turbocharging, the J920 FleXtra engine not only achieves a higher electrical efficiency, it also allows to achieve a 3% point higher total efficiency. That not only reduces fuel consumption, but also enables additional heat sales.
1 x J920 FleXtra